Creating online video is not as difficult as it sounds and if you are “green” to creating videos, this walk-through is going to give you some perspective. I am going to be walking you through what a screencast is, the software that is available out there (online and install based), and I am even going to be giving you a look at the software that I use (Screen-o-matic) and how I create screencast videos like this one.
Screen Recorders are handy tools used to record the computer’s screen, i.e., record the ongoing activities on the screen. Using these, you can record the screen as easily as you would take screenshots on your computer or record a step by step training. These tools do provide live-capture enhancements, post-capture video editing options and more.
Some Screen Recoder Softwares
Screen-O-matic is a free screen recorder for Windows and Mac you can capture any area of your screen with the option to add narration from your microphone and video from your webcam. You can record lectures, webinars, demos, games, Skype calls, etc and share free on Screencast-O-Matic.com, YouTube, or save directly to a video file.
It has editing functions that allows you edit the recorded video. The free version you record for 15 min recordings with the free version or use the Pro Recorder to record for longer. It is also used offline ie you can record without been online.
Screenpresso captures your desktop (as screenshots) and records the same to create HD videos. With all its advanced features, it’s one of the best premium screen recorders though it doesn’t offer much to free users. Nevertheless, you can capture the entire screen or specific areas and even manage your captures easily using its management features.
- Allows recording audio and webcam along with the screen
- Allows using captures and recordings for commercial use — even in its free edition
- Records the screen in lightweight MP4 format and allows changing the format to WMV, WebM and OGG
- Offers ‘Quick Access‘ to your previous screenshots and recordings
- Allows labeling, sorting and editing captures into custom folders and manages workspaces and libraries of your captures (photos & videos)
- Offers sharing features for numerous services including Email, FTP, Evernote, Google Drive, OneDrive, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox and more
- No support for Android with its free edition
- Recordings’ max. duration is just 3 minutes
- Limits image editing features and mandates updates for the free users
- Can’t remove watermarks from images, videos or documents in its free version
Bandicam Screen Recorder
Bandicam Screen Recorder is a lightweight screen recorder for windows that can capture anything
on your PC screen as high-quality video.
It lets you easily record flash games, streaming videos and more. The software offers several modes like gaming mode, screen recording mode, Webcam PiP (Video-in-Video) and device recording mode for perfect recording.
- Saves the recorded videos in AVI or MP4 format
- Offers real-time voice recording for creating screencasts
- Offers live drawing while recording
- Allows adding watermarks and overlaying webcam while recording
- Allows adding mouse clicks’ effects or animations while recording screen
- Bloats to optimize the recording process using hardware acceleration (if supported)
- Can’t get rid of its watermark in the free version
- 10-minute recording cap for the free version
BSR Soft can record sound, pictures, or video of whatever is on your screen. You can restrict the capture to part of your screen or just capture your whole display.
You can save videos to many different formats, including WMV, EXE, and AVI. There is even an editor that lets you add text, callouts, and animations to your video. This is a great choice for anyone looking for screen-capture software.
With the Screen Recorder’s Movie Lab, you can edit your screen capture videos frame by frame. Add text boxes, callouts, images, pictures, videos, mirrors, slow downs, speed ups, transitions, effects and highlights to your video. Prepare tutorials, software demonstrations and video presentations.
- Records Video to AVI and Convert to SWF, WMV and EXE
- Record subtitles, annotations
- Record customized watermark
- Define hotkeys for ‘Record’, ‘Stop’, ‘Pause’, Zoom In & Out, Pan Selected Region, Take Picture etc.
- Multiple file recording
- When size of the video file exceeds a specified size, the program automatically starts to record to a new file. (This is very useful if you record for long hours.)
- Starts and stops recording at times set by user.
- Powerful and easy to use interface
- Tooltip balloons show beginners how to start and complete a recording.
- Built-in advisor for reducing video file size
lets you both capture your screen and edit the video. Using EZVid, you can easily create tutorials or product reviews that look professional. You don’t have to be a screen-capturing expert to use the software, because it is easy to use. EZVid has pretty basic features. You can add voice narration and text effects. This software is not ideal for an advanced video creator. If you want to add complex transitions or callouts, you should find a more advanced screen-capturing software. For the basic user, just trying to get a video made with some light effects, EZVid may be for you.
Atomi ActivePresenter is a powerful software that can capture all or part of your computer screen with superb video quality. Although it lacks various features (in its free edition) that are provided by its competitors, it’s a perfect minimalistic screen recorder for anyone looking forward to create high-resolution long-time screencasts.
- No watermark and recording time limits — even for free users
- Offers decorating the screencasts with styles, shadows and color effects
- Allows adding transition effects like photo slides and annotations to your videos
- Offers a range of post-recording editing options like video overlays, cutting and cropping videos, adjusting volume levels, adding blur and few more
- Allows exporting recordings to MP4, FLV, AVI, WMV, WebM and MKVformats
- Can’t upload the recorded videos directly online
- Its free version lacks various useful features available in its premium versions